Meet 2018 Boston Marathon winner, DES LINDEN… and become a faster, stronger and more inspired runner at RACE-MANIA
The RACE-MANIA Summit & Expo is dedicated to helping endurance athletes prepare for a new season and takes place Sunday, March 24, 2019, at the Boston University Fit Rec Center in Boston, MA. Event programming is related to running, cycling and swimming — or doing all three together in triathlon! If your main focus is running, this page is for you.
Running related programming at this year’s RACE-MANIA includes:
- Seminars & Keynote:
- Getting Comfortable Being Uncomfortable in Your Training and Racing presented by Becca Pizzi, 2x winner of the World Marathon Challenge (12:00pm-12:25pm)
- Keynote Q&A with 2018 Boston Marathon Winner and 2x Olympian DES LINDEN moderated by endurance sports legend and Boston Marathon Race Director, DAVE McGILLIVRAY (1:15pm-2:15pm
- Nutrition and Performance: A Panel Discussion with Leading Sports Nutritionists (2:20pm-3:00pm)
- Meet & Greet with DES LINDEN at the Marathon Sports booth on the expo floor (11:00am-12:00pm)
- Clinics, workshops & information sessions:
- ChiRunning – Level 1 and Level 2 (10:30am-12:30pm – Level I; 2:00pm-4:00pm – Level II)
- Running and Enjoying the Boston Marathon with Paul Clerici, author of “The Boston Marathon: History by the Mile” – 9:45AM-10:45AM
- The Marathon Physical Therapy Fitness & Wellness Lounge – see below for sessions and times
Admission to the seminars and clinics & workshops requires the purchase of the All Day Pass when registering. The All Day Pass is just $5 and 50% is donated to the American Cancer Society. The All Day Pass includes (1) all day access to the seminars and expo; (2) a chance to win valuable giveaways — including two grand prizes worth thousands of dollars — and; (3) a goodie bag loaded with product samples and exclusive savings (if your are among the first 1,000 registered attendees and age 18 or older).
The Ledlesner Trails in Motion Film Festival is an annual international film and content showcase bringing a collection of the finest trail and ultra running films to passionate audiences around the world. The 2019 Trails in Motion festival will be featured as part of this year’s RACE-MANIA Summit and Expo and start at 4:20pm. Admission to the Trails in Motion film festival is not included with the RACE-MANIA All Day Pass… click here for more info on Trails in Motion and to purchase tickets.
Setting and achieving a goal in the world of endurance sports isn’t easy. Whether it’s your first 5k, half marathon or marathon, it’s going to take hard work and there are times when doing that work is going to make you uncomfortable. If you aren’t ready to handle being uncomfortable — if you aren’t comfortable with being uncomfortable — accomplishing your goal will be that much more difficult. In this session, presented by Becca Pizzi, 2x winners of the World Marathon Challenge (7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents!), attendees will learn the importance of showing up, taking chances and having your “WHY”, and believing in yourself
About Des Linden: Linden was a 2x All-American in track and cross country at Arizona State University. She made her first mark on the marathon world with a thrilling 2nd place finish at the 2011 Boston Marathon in a time of 2:22:38 — just 2 seconds behind winner Caroline Kilel and (at the time) the fastest ever by an American woman in the Boston Marathon. She then qualified for the London (2012) and Rio de Janeiro (2016) Olympic games as a member of the US marathon team. In 2018, she overcame torrential rains, biting headwinds and temperatures in the 40’s F to become the first US women’s champion at the Boston Marathon in 33 years (2:39:55). Linden will return to the Boston Marathon to defend her title on April 15th.
About Dave McGillivray: Race director, philanthropist, motivational speaker, accomplished athlete. Dave McGillivray is a professional with a purpose. He’s the founder of DMSE Sports, a leader in sports event management, specializing in creating, marketing and producing mass participatory athletic events throughout the U.S. and abroad including the Boston Marathon. He is the recipient of numerous awards including 2005 Running USA Hall of Champions, 2007 Runner’s World Heroes of Running Award, the 2010 Fleet Feet Lifetime Commitment to Running Award, 2010 Ron Burton Community Service Award, and the 2011 Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center’s 2011 100 list. He was also inducted into the USA Triathlon Hall of Fame in 2011 and received the prestigious “Jimmy Award” by the Jimmy Fund and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for 30 years of contributing time and expertise to help raise millions for cancer research and treatment. In 2015, he received the MarathonFoto/Road Race Management Lifetime Achievement Award, and was named One of the 50 Most Influential People in Running by Runner’s World.
2:20pm-3:00pm – Nutrition and Performance: A Panel Discussion with Leading Sports Nutritionists featuring Nancy Clark, RD, CSSD, Dina Griffin, MS, RD, CSSD, METS II and Jennifer O’Donell-Giles MS RDN CSSD In this panel discussion, 3 leading sports nutritionists will share their expertise on the importance and effect of nutrition on performance. Each of the three speakers will share valuable insight on core topics — Nancy Clark will focus on weight management, Dina Griffin on fueling and hydration and Jennifer O’Donell-Giles on safe supplement options — and then the balance of the session will be opened up to audience questions related to these topics or others.
CLICK HERE to see the complete list of seminars at the 2019 RACE-MANIA Summit and Expo.
RUNNING-RELATED CLINICS & WORKSHOPS
ChiRunning – ChiRunning combines the inner focus and flow of Tai Chi with the power and energy of running to create a revolutionary running form and philosophy that takes the pounding, pain and potential damage out of the sport of running. Choose from ChiRunning Level I or Level II clinic options.
Price: $55; Duration: 2 hours; Times offered: Sunday, 3/24/19: 10:30am-12:30pm (Level I) and 2:00pm-4:00pm (Level II).
TO REGISTER, sign up for the RACE-MANIA All Day Pass with a click here and then select the ChiRunning clinic under “Additional Items”. Already signed up for RACE-MANIA? Great, click here and select “Additional Items” to add this clinic to your RACE-MANIA registration.
Running and Enjoying the Boston Marathon – This multimedia presentation takes runners through the Boston Marathon course via photos (some never before published), anecdotes, stories, tales and tidbits, from the perspective the perspective of Paul Clerici, an historian, 23-time Boston Marathoner, and 30-year sports journalist. Mile by mile, story by story, town by town, the entire 26.2-mile journey will entertainingly and informatively reveal itself. Attendees will learn:
- Useful beneficial observations from the perspective of a 23-time Boston Marathoner and 30-year sports journalist.
- The unique-to-Boston sights and sounds along the course that’ll help carry and entertain you through the race.
- How to approach and run each portion of the course in each community and in any kind of weather.
Price: FREE with the All Day Pass; Duration: 60 minutes; Time offered: Sunday, 3/24/19, 9:45am-10:45am
TO REGISTER, sign up for the RACE-MANIA All Day Pass with a click here and then select Running and Enjoying the Boston Marathon under “Additional Items”. Already signed up for RACE-MANIA? Great, click here and select “Additional Items” to add this clinic to your RACE-MANIA registration.
The Marathon Physical Therapy Fitness & Wellness Studio – The Marathon Physical Therapy Fitness & Wellness Studio returns to RACE-MANIA featuring a half day of programming designed to help you prepare your body for the training and racing load that comes with a new season. The day begins with a Pre-Workout Yoga class that includes a brief discussion on how and why you should add yoga to your training regimen. This will be followed by two classes — Self-management of Acute Injuries and Design and Execute Your Own Cross Training Program — and concludes with 90 minutes of individually focused screens and consults. Sign up for one or and is follow by opportunities for you to sign up for Video Run Gait Analysis, a Functional Movement Screen or a Pain/Injury Consultation. The Wellness Studio concludes with the class, Functional Cross Training for Endurance Athletes.
- 8:00am-8:45am: Pre-Workout Yoga (yoga class)
- 9:00am-9:45am: Self Management of Acute Injuries
- 10:00am-11:00am: Design and Execute Your Own Cross Training Program
- Video Running Gait Screens
- Training Program Consults
- Injury Screens
TO REGISTER for one or more of these classes, sign up for the RACE-MANIA All Day Pass with a click here and then select the Marathon PT Fitness & Wellness Lounge class(es) from “Additional Items”. Already signed up for RACE-MANIA? Great, click here and select “Additional Items” to add the class(es) to your RACE-MANIA registration. Price: FREE with the All Day Pass.
CLICK HERE to see the complete list of clinics & workshops at the 2019 RACE-MANIA Summit and Expo.
The Ledlenser Trails In Motion Film Tour is an annual international film and content showcase for the community, by the community, bringing a collection of the finest trail and ultra running films to passionate audiences around the world. The festival features 5 short films (running time is about 100 minutes):
- On the Corner – Japanese 100-mile runner Kenichi Yamamoto – one of the countries top athletes – has another life as high school teacher, helping to inspire his students to live and explore more. This film is a story of Kenichi’s long journey of
recovery, self-discovery and the lessons learned from persistence.
- Running on Empty – The average person walks Corsica’s merciless GR20 trail in two weeks. Ultrarunner Rory Bosio is not average. With guest appearances of duct-taped hiking poles, anti-chafe gloves and local pizza, see what the 118 mile trail looks like in 50 hours.
- A Few Steps Further – When Kevin Davis first began running, he was overweight and out of shape. He tried, but failed to finish a 1-mile run. Now, years later, he runs 100-mile races. He uses that fitness to support his other passion – backcountry
hunting. In 2017, Davis was selected to run the Hardrock 100. Two months later he attempts a backcountry
mountain goat hunt in the wilds of Alaska. The film looks at the crossover between endurance sports and hunting,
and the need for public lands and wild places to do both.
- La Barkley Sans Pitie – The Barkley Marathons is, for many, the toughest race in the world. In a remote corner of mountains in Tennessee, between former coal mines and an abandoned high-security prison, Lazarus Lake has been organizing for thirty years this underground event, which is both ultra-trail and Orienteering. A moving course, in the middle of the
woods, without a precise path, five loops of about thirty-five kilometers to be completed in less than sixty hours.
Since 1987, over 1,000 participants, only fifteen have finished … “My idea was that only 1% of people can
overcome it,” says the organizer. Built around Alexis Berg’s splendid black and white photos, and co-directed by
Aurélien Delfosse, La Barkley Sans Pitié retraces a fiercest 2017 edition. At the start of the last lap, they were only two of the forty registered. And at the end…
- How to Run 100 Miles – The odds were stacked against Jayson Sime early in life: poverty, homelessness, dyslexia, bullying. But he learned to fight, literally and metaphorically, and battled his way to a successful career as a political organizer. In 2017, he entered his first 100-mile mountain ultramarathon, betting on his lifelong resilience to carry him to the finish line.
Admission to the Trails in Motion film festival is not included with the RACE-MANIA All Day Pass… click here for more information on the film festival and to purchase tickets.